Here is a lovely and super quick recipe for banana bread muffins. If you are (or were) a cake lover like me, then this should really hit the spot. It’s also a great way to use up those bananas that look like they are about to decompose and are taking various fruit bowl companion hostages down with them!
This recipe is also so easy my daughter has been frequently helping me with it since she was 16 months old (she’s now 4.5!) … I say ‘helps’ in the loosest sense of the word, but we have a great time baking these (and making a huge mess) most Sunday mornings! When i’ve had the opportunity to make these by myself i can get the ingredients mixed and in the oven in about 6 mins, so it really is a super quick ‘go to’ recipe.
4 x yellow/brown bananas, broken into pieces
4 x free range eggs
120g almond butter (I use this one)
75g coconut flour (I use this one)
4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil or ghee
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 heaped teaspoon (gluten free) baking powder
1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
pinch of salt
OPTIONAL – handful of raisins
1. Preheat oven to 175 degree Celcius
2. Grease 12 hole muffin tin with ghee or oil, or line with muffin cases
3. Throw bananas, eggs and almond butter and ghee or oil into a blender or use an electric hand whisk and blend until ingredients are smooth.
4. Add coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla and salt and blend some more until all ingredients are incorporated and the mix is smooth. If using, add the raisins at this point and use a wooden spoon to mix in by hand
5. Divide the mix between the 12 muffin cases
6. Place in oven for 15-18 mins or until the tops are nicely browned
7. Turn out onto a cooling rack and try not to devour any until cool – good luck!
These keep really well in the fridge for a few days – mine have never lasted past 3 days, so I couldn’t vouch for anything past that time frame!
This is a really forgiving recipe, so feel free to play – add different spices; nutmeg, all spice, ginger, try different dried fruits or nuts; cranberries, pecans, dates, or maybe even some 90% dark chocolate for a really decadent mid morning snack?!